Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: What's the difference between these RC4WD axles for the portal boxes?

What's the difference between these RC4WD axles for the portal boxes? 3 weeks 4 hours ago #1

  • Tim_
  • Tim_'s Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 647
  • Thank you received: 52
Hi everyone. I have a set of these RC4WD portal axle boxes for the first gen Yota axles. I believe I've got a first gen Yota axle already but I obviously need a second one to complete the set.

I want to know what the difference between the first gen axles are and the later ones to know if they will fit later axles and therefore give me more options or less hassle, such as finding spare parts. Ideally I could use them on any Yota or Gelande axles

Any help would be appreciated!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What's the difference between these RC4WD axles for the portal boxes? 2 weeks 6 days ago #2

  • Pete Attryde
  • Pete Attryde's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Forum's Chief Gremlin
  • Posts: 1398
  • Thank you received: 251
I am pretty sure you can't fit yota I knuckles to yota II axles or vice versa, but I can't remember exactly why at the moment, it might be king pin angle.
Pete's Scale Fab Shop
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with Ketchup
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What's the difference between these RC4WD axles for the portal boxes? 2 weeks 6 days ago #3

  • Tim_
  • Tim_'s Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 647
  • Thank you received: 52
Ah cheers Pete, so I would definitely need the Yota 1 axle type for the portals? Do you know if the internals are any different? Just wondering if I could build a set up given I'd only need the differential and axle casings.

Or just try and hunt down another Yota 1 steering axle...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What's the difference between these RC4WD axles for the portal boxes? 2 weeks 6 days ago #4

  • Pete Attryde
  • Pete Attryde's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Forum's Chief Gremlin
  • Posts: 1398
  • Thank you received: 251
There is a set of second hand used casings on the facebook page Ian Walters is selling. I am sure I have a ring and pinion in the shed you can have. Then you would only need CVD's and bearings plus some hardware.

The ring and pinions are the same but that's about it from memory. The casings are different as are the CVD's
Pete's Scale Fab Shop
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with Ketchup
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What's the difference between these RC4WD axles for the portal boxes? 2 weeks 6 days ago #5

  • Tim_
  • Tim_'s Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 647
  • Thank you received: 52
Am I right in saying it's these axles which are listed on the RC4WD page?

I could just pick up a set of brand new ones for relatively not a lot, well not compared to the cost of the portal axle kit.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What's the difference between these RC4WD axles for the portal boxes? 2 weeks 6 days ago #6

  • Pete Attryde
  • Pete Attryde's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Forum's Chief Gremlin
  • Posts: 1398
  • Thank you received: 251
Tim_ wrote:
Am I right in saying it's these axles which are listed on the RC4WD page?

I could just pick up a set of brand new ones for relatively not a lot, well not compared to the cost of the portal axle kit.

yep that's the one.

I actually have brand new complete front axle here, I got it for a project that has stalled. You can have it for £35 posted.
Pete's Scale Fab Shop
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with Ketchup
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What's the difference between these RC4WD axles for the portal boxes? 2 weeks 6 days ago #7

  • jonny191
  • jonny191's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • hitting the trail
  • Posts: 59
  • Thank you received: 25
Yota1 and yota2 axles are different from each other, on the yota1 the king pins are equal and on the yota2's they are offset and the internals i'm not sure but the cvd's are a different part number so would presume they're different. And from looking at the portals on the website they only fit front casings and not the rear so make sure you buy two
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What's the difference between these RC4WD axles for the portal boxes? 2 weeks 6 days ago #8

  • Tim_
  • Tim_'s Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 647
  • Thank you received: 52
Pete Attryde wrote:
Tim_ wrote:
Am I right in saying it's these axles which are listed on the RC4WD page?

I could just pick up a set of brand new ones for relatively not a lot, well not compared to the cost of the portal axle kit.

yep that's the one.

I actually have brand new complete front axle here, I got it for a project that has stalled. You can have it for £35 posted.

I'll take you up on that, thanks! I'll drop you a PM shortly.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What's the difference between these RC4WD axles for the portal boxes? 2 weeks 6 days ago #9

  • Tim_
  • Tim_'s Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 647
  • Thank you received: 52
jonny191 wrote:
Yota1 and yota2 axles are different from each other, on the yota1 the king pins are equal and on the yota2's they are offset and the internals i'm not sure but the cvd's are a different part number so would presume they're different. And from looking at the portals on the website they only fit front casings and not the rear so make sure you buy two

I've already got one front axle, just need the second. I've got the lock out kit for the rear axle too. I'll be getting them built up at some point to see what they're like.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
  • 1
Moderators: Geoff, Earl