• Page:

TOPIC: Coyote

Coyote 1 month 3 weeks ago #1

• Pete Attryde
  • Administrator
  • Forum's Chief Gremlin
  • Thank you received: 251
Bit of an impulse buy this :whistle: ,

Having had a good look at one at the Nationals, and chatting to a couple of the folks who had been running them to help develope them, I came away really impressed with the specification and price point of these. I had intended to wait for the kit version to come out but then Martin @ RCBitz had some of the RTR's at a really good ::doh::

My plans are to make a few bits of metal work (bumper's and rock sliders), Chassis mount the servo, install some leds and a winch. I will also be changing the wheels for a set of SSD beadlocks and iroks that I have spare. Lastly I will make a simple interior, drop bed and arch liners.

I will be removing and selling the TX/RX (not that I think there is anything wrong with them I just prefer my Flysky) as well as the wheels/tires.

I will update this thread as and when I make any changes. I will also try and do a review of it when I get a chance to take some better pictures.
Pete's Scale Fab Shop
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with Ketchup
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Coyote 1 month 3 weeks ago #2

• Geoff
  • Keep the DINGO Dream Alive
  • Thank you received: 118
It Looks like a good Vehicle, ::thumb:: I looked at this but decided to go with the Red Cat.

I have no doubt, you will be making it in to a super truck. ::thumb::
OFFICIAL RCWTF DINGO DRIVER

Coyote 1 month 3 weeks ago #3

• neilus
  • pluggin like a pro
  • Currently building a Hilux
  • Thank you received: 23
Looks like it could be quite a nice build Pete. I can't quite make it out on the photos, but are those tires "Rock Kippers"??
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by neilus.

Coyote 1 month 3 weeks ago #4

• Pete Attryde
  • Administrator
  • Forum's Chief Gremlin
Geoff wrote:
It Looks like a good Vehicle, ::thumb:: I looked at this but decided to go with the Red Cat.

I have no doubt, you will be making it in to a super truck. ::thumb::

Yeah, the Red Cat looks as though may be another good option, For me, having had a chance to have a good look at one before buying made this the obvious choice.
neilus wrote:
Looks like it could be quite a nice build Pete. I can't quite make it out on the photos, but are those tires "Rock Kippers"??

Not quite "Rock Kippers" but "Rock Rippers" ::lolz

I hope to keep it relatively stock, as I really need a rig that isn't full of custom one off bits that choose the most inopportune moments to destroy themselves.
Pete's Scale Fab Shop
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Pete Attryde.

Coyote 1 month 2 weeks ago #5

• Pete Attryde
  • Administrator
  • Forum's Chief Gremlin
So I have spent the weekend making the Coyote my own.

I have fabbed up a CMS and panhard plus a new drag link and 3 linked the front. Swapped out the shocks for some shorter ones, flipped the motor and trans around so that the spur is out of the space I want to stick an interior in, in the future. Also made a foward battery mount and new electronics plate. Lastly made some simple rock sliders to replace the stock ones. By the end of the week I should have a cheap winch to slap on the front.

None of the changes were needed as the box stock rig works really well from what I have seen, I just have an aversion to axle mounted servos and jacked up ride heights with massive articulation. Next steps will be to design and print the drop bed and half interior. I intend to get this out for a run next weekend, so we shall see how much worse I have made the performace.
Pete's Scale Fab Shop

Coyote 1 month 2 weeks ago #6

• M and M
  • ready to trial
  • Thank you received: 11
Could I ask what metal your using for the drag link and panhard ? I need to make some for a project and don't really want threaded rod in tube thingy, thanks.
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by M and M.

Coyote 1 month 2 weeks ago #7

• Pete Attryde
  • Administrator
  • Forum's Chief Gremlin
M and M wrote:
Could I ask what metal your using for the drag link and panhard ? I need to make some for a project and don't really want threaded rod in tube thingy, thanks.

The ones on here are 3mm o/d stainless steel tube that I then cut M3 threads on using a die.
Pete's Scale Fab Shop

Coyote 1 month 2 weeks ago #8

• M and M
  • ready to trial
Thanks for the info, will work from that.

Coyote 1 month 1 week ago #9

• Pete Attryde
  • Administrator
  • Forum's Chief Gremlin
M and M wrote:
Thanks for the info, will work from that.

Your welcome.

Tonight the bed floor fell out.So I can test fit the drop bed I have designed and printed . The first version needs a couple of small corrections but I am pleased with the results so far.

So now I know what corrections need to made I can change the 3D model to suit and print a final version, I am also going to drawand print a tool chest to cover the spur gear and some inner fenders for the front.

Thanks for looking more as and when I get the printer working again.
Pete's Scale Fab Shop

Coyote 1 month 1 week ago #10

• Fourth Protocol
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 104
I have a new respect for 3D printed stuff for these trucks after assembling the Comanche. Amazing what you can achieve ::eek

Can the motor be moved to the front on the Coyote?

Coyote 1 month 1 week ago #11

• Pete Attryde
  • Administrator
  • Forum's Chief Gremlin
Fourth Protocol wrote:
I have a new respect for 3D printed stuff for these trucks after assembling the Comanche. Amazing what you can achieve ::eek

Can the motor be moved to the front on the Coyote?

I don't see why not, it would need a new motor mount making and maybe the skid modified to take a transfer case. I may have a play along those lines later.
Pete's Scale Fab Shop

Coyote 1 month 1 week ago #12

• Pete Attryde
  • Administrator
  • Forum's Chief Gremlin
As the parts for the printer are currently winging there way from Hongkong, I decided to finish the prototype drop bed the old school way and broke out the styrene :-)

Using the dimensions from the cad model I reshaped the front of the bed to better match the profile of the body and also altered the size of the wheel wells, with that all done I gave the inside of the bed a couple of coats of black acrylic and then finally glued the bed and body together using silicone.

whilst the paint on the bed dried I made a box to cover the spurgear and gave that a couple of coats of silver, once the silver has dried I will highlight a couple of details on the latch and then glue it to the bed.

As I had the shell off I took the opportunity to install some leds and a winch on the front bumper. As the rear light bucket is for a single 5mm led I painted the complete lense red as it seemed pointless having an indicator and reverse lights that showed red.

The indicators on the wings are a sticker from the factory, so I removed that and then removed the paint underneath and gave the clear lense a good coat of clear orange, I will probably paint some silver around the lense to create the effect of a bezel, and then installed the optional (included with the truck) light buckets and some orange LED', I have wired them as side/running lights that come on with the head lights.

Tomorrow I will sort out some magnets to secure the rear, connect up the Heyok lighting controller and secure the rear bumper.
Pete's Scale Fab Shop
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Pete Attryde.

Coyote 1 month 6 days ago #13

• Geoff
  • Keep the DINGO Dream Alive
  • Thank you received: 118
Looking good Pete, I like the rear lights.

I found an old picture, of you in your work shop. :whistle: :holdinitin:

OFFICIAL RCWTF DINGO DRIVER

Coyote 1 month 4 days ago #14

• Pete Attryde
  • Administrator
  • Forum's Chief Gremlin
Made a little more progress on this tonight :-)

Inner wings done (well at least for the moment)

Also added some detailing to the paint.

Just need to finish the hooking up the lights, and start on the interior. Oh and get it muddy.
Pete's Scale Fab Shop

Coyote 1 month 3 days ago #15

• Grasshopper
  • pluggin like a pro
  • Thank you received: 23
I like the look of the reversed out 'deep dish' wheels but does it make the wheels stick out further than normal?

It should certainly be fairly planted on the trails though ::thumb::
...It all started with Tamiya, was enhanced by Axial and then fulfilled by RC4WD...

Coyote 1 month 3 days ago #16

Really like the look of this truck, think they nailed the body design ::thumb::
With the side fitted rock sliders, are the 'feet' looking mounts stock and are they alloy or plastic? It's one thing I dislike about my SCX10 and I don't think alloy replacements warrant ~£20!!

Shall follow your build with great interest.

Coyote 1 month 2 days ago #17

• Pete Attryde
  • Administrator
  • Forum's Chief Gremlin
DartmoorTrails wrote:
Really like the look of this truck, think they nailed the body design ::thumb::
With the side fitted rock sliders, are the 'feet' looking mounts stock and are they alloy or plastic? It's one thing I dislike about my SCX10 and I don't think alloy replacements warrant ~£20!!

Shall follow your build with great interest.

Thanks, it is a nice shell and seems to be well moulded, it's also nice to have a non hilux/jeep shell option.
The 'feet' are indeed plastic, I will be seeing how they work out and make some steel/alloy ones if I need to.
Pete's Scale Fab Shop

Coyote 1 month 2 days ago #18

• Retrocosm
  • Mud for blood
  • Thank you received: 47
Very nice, you're really transforming this into something special, it has a great stance.

Coyote 1 month 11 hours ago #19

• Pete Attryde
  • Administrator
  • Forum's Chief Gremlin
Retrocosm wrote:
Very nice, you're really transforming this into something special, it has a great stance.

Thanks Charlie,

I hope it can stand out among other SCA-1E's at least for a little while. I have my eye on a new shell for this but that can wait for the moment.

Being playing with sketchup again today :-) .

Found, on 3dwarehouse, a bench seat in a 3d model of a pickup.I got rid of the rest of the pick-up and tweaked the design to give a printable model. I currently have it scaled to 130mm wide as this will suit the coyote body.

Also found and modified a dashboard. Again I had to scale it fit in the available space and I altered the radio and gauges to make it printable.

Once the printer is up and running again I can print these off and get on with the interior.

I am also going to see if I can work out how to model a new grill as most of the 4x4 Toyota (toyopet) Stouts I can find pictures of have a double headlight grill. I shall post progress as it happens.
Pete's Scale Fab Shop
Last Edit: 1 month 11 hours ago by Pete Attryde.

Coyote 4 weeks 2 days ago #20

• Pete Attryde
  • Administrator
  • Forum's Chief Gremlin
Well today has had highs and lows for this build, got the printer kind of working late last night so gave printing the dash and seat a try.

Although not the best prints I have ever done they came out useable (the bottom edges warped on both the seat and dash) however the ropey bits won't be seen ::cool

Gave the seat a light sand and then hand painted it with a brownish acrylic. between coats made a simple styrene box that will attach to the body and hold the seat in place along with the dash etc. The dash needs some more work to make it blend into the bottom the windscreen better but I am again happy with the overall effect.

The low was blowing all the LED's in the body by forgetting to install the current limiting resistors and switching the lights on ::doh::. Fortunately I didn't damage the controller and have managed to replace most of the LED's I can't get one of the rears out without removing the a lot of other bits (which I can't be bothered to do) and I had to leave one of the running lights not working as I can't find my stock of 3mm orange LEDs at the moment.

::thumb::
Pete's Scale Fab Shop

Coyote 4 weeks 8 hours ago #21

• Pete Attryde
  • Administrator
  • Forum's Chief Gremlin
Using the mock up interior I made at the weekend I have managed to model the complete interior insert ready to print it :-)

I shall hopefully get all the bits printed over the next few days and then I can trial fit it in the body and see how well it fits ::pray
Pete's Scale Fab Shop

Coyote 4 weeks 8 hours ago #22

• Fourth Protocol
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 104
Realism with lexan. Who'd have thunk it ::eek Turning into a really nice little truck ::thumb:: ::cool

Coyote 3 weeks 5 days ago #23

• Pete Attryde
  • Administrator
  • Forum's Chief Gremlin
Fourth Protocol wrote:
Realism with lexan. Who'd have thunk it ::eek Turning into a really nice little truck ::thumb:: ::cool

I know good isn't it. Virtually indestructible shell with good scale appearance what's not to like, ::eek

The printer is currentl printing the first couple of sections, so in a couple of days i should have a full set to do a trial assembly with ::pray
Pete's Scale Fab Shop

Coyote 3 weeks 5 days ago #24

• Davy Crockett
  • Mud for blood
  • Thank you received: 32
Great build Pete, thanks for sharing!
Nice to see another platform for a project, be interested in your thoughts on the kit. I have a carisma Audi Quattro and for the money its great fun.
Like the look of the coyote, bit retro and like the pics of the 'weathered' version.
I'll be having another rig next year and this might make the shortlist :hmmm:

Coyote 3 weeks 4 days ago #25

• Pete Attryde
  • Administrator
  • Forum's Chief Gremlin
Davy Crockett wrote:
Great build Pete, thanks for sharing!
Nice to see another platform for a project, be interested in your thoughts on the kit. I have a carisma Audi Quattro and for the money its great fun.
Like the look of the coyote, bit retro and like the pics of the 'weathered' version.
I'll be having another rig next year and this might make the shortlist :hmmm:

Cheers Davy, I am really happy with the kit so far, yes I know I have already modded it ::doh:: , For the money I really don't think you can get anything any better straight out of the box, yes it can be improved, mostly just lowering the ride height and adding a small spacer to each rear lower link to adjust the pinion angle. The plastics seem to be durable although the shock hoops are quite flexible but with the shell on they are held in place accurately enough. The body it's self appears to be of a good thickness of lexan and well molded, with some nice scale bits like the mirrors, door handles etc. The Supplied TX/rx is good enough and seems to well enough, the servo is metal geared which is nice to see and the ESC is a hobbywing quicrun although only the 40amp version. it will run on 3s as long the pinion gear size is dropped from the stock 17T to 13T.

The biggest upgrade that, in my opinon, it needs is to replace the bushings in the drivetrain with decent sealed bearings but for an RTR at this price point I certainly won't be complaining that it didn't come with a complete set of bearings.

That said a couple of stock RTR rigs ran the Proline 12hr challenge with no breakages with the team coming second overall, also gaining G6 certification.

The last bit that sold it for me is that the fact that Carisma Scale Adventure are a UK based company, yes the kits are manufactured in China but then so are most of the other offerings out there.
Pete's Scale Fab Shop

Coyote 3 weeks 4 days ago #26

• Pete Attryde
  • Administrator
  • Forum's Chief Gremlin
So with the printer back in action I have run off a complete set of the interior parts and trial assembled them (with trusty masking tape) and all looks to be good (well apart from the terrible print quality ::doh:: ) ::thumb::

The next set of parts are printing at the moment (having tweaked the printer settings) the only change I have made to the design is to incorporate the door cards into the side walls, thus reducing the number of parts to be printed.

More soon.
Pete's Scale Fab Shop
Last Edit: 3 weeks 4 days ago by Pete Attryde.

Coyote 3 weeks 3 days ago #27

• Pete Attryde
  • Administrator
  • Forum's Chief Gremlin
Got the paints out today and finished up the interior, I used the styrene prototype as I am still dialing in the quality on the printer.

I need to resize the steering wheel slightly as it is currently a litle on the large side. I used a couple of the door cards I had alreay printed and added them to the styrene side walls.

I also put a couple of scale items in the bed.

I am probably going to make a steering guard as the steering links are a little exposed, but I think I can call this build done. I am hoping to get it out on the trails over the christmas period and see how badly I have hurt the performance.
Pete's Scale Fab Shop
Last Edit: 3 weeks 3 days ago by Pete Attryde.

Coyote 3 weeks 2 days ago #28

• Tim_
  • Thank you received: 52
Looking good Pete. Really impressed with the quality of the print, I can see me getting a 3D printer at some point to do some of the builds I’ve been thinking about.

Coyote 3 weeks 1 day ago #29

• M and M
  • ready to trial
That turned out nice, like it a lot.

Coyote 2 weeks 3 days ago #30

• Pete Attryde
  • Administrator
  • Forum's Chief Gremlin
Tim_ wrote:
Looking good Pete. Really impressed with the quality of the print, I can see me getting a 3D printer at some point to do some of the builds I’ve been thinking about.

Cheers Tim, Very happy with the overall look. The printed bits made a huge difference for minimal effort ::eek

I don't regretting getting my printer, but it has taken 18 months of tinkering to get it to work how I wanted it to.
M and M wrote:
That turned out nice, like it a lot.

Thank you sir.

Had it out for it's maiden run today, have to say I am very, very impressed with the performance. My mods haven't made a noticeable difference to the abilities (was running with another un-modded coyote). Best bit was nothing broke and one 2200Mah 3S lipo lasted about 2hrs.

They may be some video in a bit, just fighting edditing software :crazy:

Thanks as always for looking.
Pete's Scale Fab Shop
  • Page:
Moderators: outback, igbandy, rawalker666