Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Unimog U300

Unimog U300 2 weeks 6 days ago #1

• Fourth Protocol
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 104
Had a Carson Unimog U300 RTR sitting on a shelf for a few months now, and was in the shed and saw the MST CMX chassis I bought off Pete. On a whim I took it inside and the wheelbase on the U300 matches it perfectly (250mm).

At GB £240 it's not going to win comps, but it has a pretty detailed cab and a very detailed interior. RWD only, but tons of lights, a sound unit, working winch, and lifting (tipping) bed. It comes with a 6 channel radio. Suspension in front is soft, rear is hard as nails.

And because pretty much everything else (including thre Comanche ::cry ) other than the Oshkosh and CC-01 Bronco (kept out for LSTR on Saturday) have been packed for the move to Germany, I set about taking the thing apart.

The steering servo is cheap. The entire mechanism is plastic, and the hubs and track rod just dropped out when I removed the lid from the bath tub chassis. Clearly not intended for anything else than asphalt.

Everything, ESC, controllers for lights, sound unit, winch and bed are all on a little PC board. Keeps everything simple and makes wires obvious, because they're labelled on the board. But it also means that other than LEDs and the speaker, I can't reuse any of it.

Going to sell the transmitter and receiver. Not much need for 6 channels, and when I do I'll buy myself something slightly better.

Will start looking at mounting the thing onto that MST chassis. Just ordered a CMS kit from Dinky RC that I hope does the trick. Definitely going to make some body mods because while the cab is good, I think it could be a lot better. And toying with the idea of the more modern U216 - U530 style grill. Will probably also make a new bed with drop sides, and see if I can stick LEDs into ALL the lights. Kindof going to wing it, mostly...
Last Edit: 2 weeks 6 days ago by Fourth Protocol.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Unimog U300 2 weeks 6 days ago #2

• Tim_
  • Thank you received: 52
Wow. I've seen people just plonk these cabs onto SCX Chassis' years ago but never do anything more than that so they never looked right at all. Really looking forward to seeing how this comes out as we know you'll do a proper job!

Such a shame the original bodies are so expensive.

Unimog U300 2 weeks 6 days ago #3

• Fourth Protocol
  • Administrator
Thanks and yeah, they cost a fair bit. Hoping to recoup some of that by selling the radio and receiver. Will see what I can come up with. Painting the body has already been struck from the list of mods because I'd have to remove and then reattach sooo much stuff that's been heat-glued onto the body. Oh well. The other plans still show promise.

Tested out cab height. Pretty close to but slightly higher than stock ride height. It's constrained by the shock towers, although I could carve out space for them in the cab floor to make it lower.

You can also see that the driver is way too small. Needs to be about another 10mm or so taller in his seat. Just ordered up a 6" action figure, which is 1:12, same as the 'Mog.

Here's a picture of the cab interior. And a better view of the supplied driver figure. This blows me away about the German modelling scene. Make an awesome and accurate scale replica of a 1:1, and then stick a really crappy figure into it. This one looks like Donald Trump in a dungarees ad. Causes me much gnashing of teeth and rending of hair.

Last Edit: 2 weeks 6 days ago by Fourth Protocol.

Unimog U300 2 weeks 5 days ago #4

• mark
  • Mud for blood
  • Thank you received: 227
Yay for wrecking that overly expensive toy ::lolz Massive shame on you for packing the Comanche ::rolleye was hoping to check it out before you have to find new friends :whistle:

Unimog U300 2 weeks 5 days ago #5

• Fourth Protocol
  • Administrator
mark wrote:
Yay for wrecking that overly expensive toy ::lolz Massive shame on you for packing the Comanche ::rolleye was hoping to check it out before you have to find new friends :whistle:

Moan moan moan ::eek ;-) I've already unpacked the Comanche, because I re-read the post where you said you wanted to see it. It'll be there on Saturday.

Unimog U300 2 weeks 5 days ago #6

• mark
  • Mud for blood
  • Thank you received: 227
:-) Thank you

Unimog U300 1 week 2 days ago #7

• Fourth Protocol
  • Administrator
I was going to create a completely new mounting system to marry the U300 up with the MST CMX. Thinking about it, it then seemed logical to re-use the Carson tub chassis, because it alreay has mounting points for the cab, and all the little bits like gas tank, storage, raditors, and steps. So I started taking it apart.

At first I thought I'd go all Demolition Man and murder death kill on this truck, but happily sanity prevailed and I took it apart to see what I might salvage. It's an interesting teardown.

Started with the bumpers, and the winch on the front bumper with it's 10cm of rope. Nothing special to note here, other than lights are wired up with LEDs. The real surprise was that the rear lights plug into the chassis - wasn't expecting that.

Steering servo was what you'd expect. Cheap, not waterproof. Not sure what that little circuit board is for. It has "forklift V12" printed on it.

Rear suspension is as simple as it can get - the spring pushes against the axle housing. Not sure why they bothered with the dog bones - the suspension is so hard it'd never budge, anyway. At least I found a hex mount that'll fit the 7 spare wheels I've collected from all my China JK bodies.

Next, motor and gearbox housing. Looks like a 380 motor, which probably explains the heat sink. That lever on the back lets you shift from hi to low range and back.

And here's the brain. Everything runs through this board - lights, revolving lights on the cab, sound, steering servo, ESC, winch controller, and raising/lowering the tipper bed.

Finally the 6-channel receiver. Also not waterproof. That long red stick thing seems to be a button. Probably reset?

Which brings me to the empty tub chassis. Looks like this now:

So the plan is to mount that tub to the MST chassis, and then making my body mods. The 1.55 Rock Crushers are exactly the same size as the tyres that came with the Unimog. Need to find more appropriate wheels though.

Last Edit: 1 week 1 day ago by Fourth Protocol.

Unimog U300 1 week 1 day ago #8

• Fourth Protocol
  • Administrator
Hacked up the tub and it fits right over the CMX chassis. Should keep it nice and clean, too. This is what's left of it:

And fitted onto the MST CMX (not screwed down yet, still need to work that part out):

Unimog U300 1 week 1 day ago #9

• Tim_
Looking good, surprised at how well the Chassis and tub fit together with some modification.

That circuit board is quite neat for handling all the lights, do you think it could be re-used just without the steering and throttle control?

Unimog U300 1 week 1 day ago #10

• Fourth Protocol
  • Administrator
Tim_ wrote:
Looking good, surprised at how well the Chassis and tub fit together with some modification.

Lol the chassis and tub fit together so well because I carved out a perfect match in hours of work. It accomodates shock towers, spur gear cover, Pete's custom upper link mounts... It really has a ton of work in it to make it fit like that.

Willingly put the effort in though to make maintenance easy. The idea is to undo four screws and have the entire body lift off in a single piece. Next step is to work out how to attach and remove the bed to replace batteries....
Tim_ wrote:
That circuit board is quite neat for handling all the lights, do you think it could be re-used just without the steering and throttle control?

I'm sure it could be done. Would take a bit of testing out to find the right wires. It's easier though (and neater, using less space) to just buy an £8 light controlller for drift cars that does hi beams on go, stop lights on brake, and reverse lights on reverse. Which is exactly what the circuit board does. I'm planning to stick a Tamiya TLU-01 in there because I want to light up 14 LEDs.
Last Edit: 1 week 1 day ago by Fourth Protocol.

Unimog U300 1 week 1 day ago #11

• Tim_
I knew you'd chopped it about but thought it would be completely unrecognisable at the very least, I was wholly expecting it to end up in the scrap pile! That's quite an achievement.

I really need to look at that controller for drifters, they've come on a long way!
  • Page:
Moderators: outback, igbandy, rawalker666