Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Neil's Scale Garage Mk2

Neil's Scale Garage Mk2 1 month 4 weeks ago #1

• neilus
  • pluggin like a pro
  • Currently building a Hilux
  • Thank you received: 23
After the sad demise of my first scale garage i've finally got round to starting Mark 2. The first one was built onto our old dining room table and as such took up a lot of room in the corner of my garage. So, after it went off to the tip, i set about thinking of how i could improve it, and hopefully this will be the last one i do.

First thing was to make it wall mounted so i could use the space underneath. It's also a bit wider, not quite so deep, and it will have 2 sides rather than 1.

I started by primering the door a few weeks ago in the hope that it would get me motivated to start the rest. And it did.

Here's the door.

Left hand side will include the door, and a roller shutter (work in progress).

The back will have 3 windows.

The base getting primered. You can see here the framework mounted to the wall.

And lastly for now, the beginnging of the roller shutter.

I know it's not a great start, but i'm hoping that starting a build thread will keep me interested in making small amounts of progress... We shall see.
Last Edit: 1 month 4 weeks ago by neilus.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Neil's Scale Garage Mk2 1 month 3 weeks ago #2

• Grasshopper
  • pluggin like a pro
Looking good already. Now, is that door actually 3D or is it some clever trompe l'oeil?
...It all started with Tamiya, was enhanced by Axial and then fulfilled by RC4WD...

Neil's Scale Garage Mk2 1 month 3 weeks ago #3

• neilus
  • pluggin like a pro
Grasshopper wrote:
Looking good already. Now, is that door actually 3D or is it some clever trompe l'oeil?

Thanks. The door is 3d mdf. I'll love to say i routed it out but i didn't. It's a 1:12 scale dolls house door from ebay. ::thumb::
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by neilus.

Neil's Scale Garage Mk2 1 month 3 weeks ago #4

I can't believe the old one ended up at the tip :( I saw it and was tempted to buy it but couldn't collect!
Hopefully this one will be better anyway :D

Neil's Scale Garage Mk2 1 month 3 weeks ago #5

• neilus
  • pluggin like a pro
Oh How Original wrote:
I can't believe the old one ended up at the tip :( I saw it and was tempted to buy it but couldn't collect!
Hopefully this one will be better anyway :D

I know. It was a sad day. But, new beginnings and all that....

I broke out the roller again, and finished the sides, and painted the floor with some left over garage floor paint i had.

And some more left overs. Sort of a creamy off white. It'll do nicely.

I had a small disaster with the roller shutter door. The corrugated styrene was really flimsy, so i bonded it to a piece of 3mm styrene sheet, and went to bed. When i went in to the garage the following morning, it was like a pringle!!!

So, it had to be scrapped. Then, i decided to make my own. I found an old header board from work made from 4mm foamex. So, i chopped it to the right size and then used the back end of my tweezers to score lines into it. A bit of a laborious task, but quite happy with the results.

Pleased with the results so far.

Next job is to finish the roller shutter edges, top box and pull chain.

Neil's Scale Garage Mk2 1 month 3 weeks ago #6

• Grasshopper
  • pluggin like a pro
I work for a super-wide format printer's and we do a lot of Foamex work - I love it, it's such a versatile material and I've made all my interiors and door cards etc. from it. The garage door looks great, possibly a bit more realistic than the corrugated plastic to be honest.

I'm showing my age but one photo prompted my memory banks to spew forth this:

There's an old piano and they play it hot behind the green door (Green door)
Don't know what they're doing but they laugh a lot behind the green door (Ooh, green door)
Wish they'd let me in so I could find out what's behind the green door (Green door)…
::eek ::lolz
...It all started with Tamiya, was enhanced by Axial and then fulfilled by RC4WD...

Neil's Scale Garage Mk2 1 month 3 weeks ago #7

• neilus
  • pluggin like a pro
Is it Shakin' Stevens?
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by neilus.

Neil's Scale Garage Mk2 1 month 2 weeks ago #8

• Grasshopper
  • pluggin like a pro
Haha, yeah. Weird how the mind works.

A n y w a y, the garage is looking cool... (don't know what I'm contributing, sorry) ::doh::

Neil's Scale Garage Mk2 1 month 2 weeks ago #9

• neilus
  • pluggin like a pro
Grasshopper wrote:
Haha, yeah. Weird how the mind works.

A n y w a y, the garage is looking cool... (don't know what I'm contributing, sorry) ::doh::

Little bit of an update this week. I've finally finished the painting and have started adding some little details. I decided to put some brickwork in to break up the blank looking wall. I still need to add the skirting boards and finish up the roller shutter, then i can screw/glue the sides to the base. So, here's where i'm at now:

Here's the view through one of the windows:

I'm not sure what to do with the window frames yet. The glass (lexan) will be painted matt clear to prevent viewing through it. Thoughts on the frames? Should i leave them, paint them or stain them?

More coming soon... Thanks for looking.

Neil's Scale Garage Mk2 1 month 2 weeks ago #10

I think leave the window frames for now, then as it's getting finished if the walls look a bit bare, perhaps paint them then?
Depending on what plans you have for posters/adverts etc...
Also, what's the internal dimensions on this Neil?

Neil's Scale Garage Mk2 1 month 1 week ago #11

• neilus
  • pluggin like a pro
The frames really need to be painted before i fit them as the glass (lexan) retaining pieces need gluing in from the back and they'll need gluing in place. But i do think I'll leave them till last once I've got the rest of it finished.

Internal dimensions are 1200mm wide, 700mm front to back and 700mm high.

Neil's Scale Garage Mk2 1 month 1 week ago #12

Aye, if the sit there and don't fall out, you can leave them until last, just in case you paint them now and change your mind, it'll be more of a pain in the backside to have to make some again.
Cheers for dimensions, your truck seems to fit quite well in it so it's giving me food for thought about making my own.

Neil's Scale Garage Mk2 5 days 4 hours ago #13

• neilus
  • pluggin like a pro
It's been a while since i updated this thread, because my laptop packed up before Christmas, and trying to add photos using my phone was too laborious. But anyway, all is good now.

So, I thought i'd just share a few up to date photos of how the garage looks now. I've still got to add some detail and banners etc... but at least it's now at a stage where i can use it for pics ::thumb::

Here's the pics.

Thanks for looking ::thumb::

Neil's Scale Garage Mk2 4 days 20 hours ago #14

• Al murray
  • Mud for blood
  • Thank you received: 102
ah you got one of those mobile pedal bins :crazy:

How about an engine hoist? and a girlie calendar.. was in a garage once and the guy was onto rc flying, had all his planes wall mounted.. could be a good use of all that empty wall space.. then theres also the usual health and safety certificcates, 1st aid posters.. service schedule boards, fire escape info etc

looking damn good btw, love the little things like the externally wired light swich and piping..

Al..

Neil's Scale Garage Mk2 4 days 13 hours ago #15

• neilus
  • pluggin like a pro
Thanks Al. An engine hoist is definitely on the list. And all the other things you suggest are good ideas too, thanks ::thumb::
  • Page:
Moderators: outback, igbandy, rawalker666